Saturday, March 9, 2013

The Good of Affliction


Psalm 119:67, 71-72 "Before I was afflicted I went astray, but now I keep your word. It is good for me that I was afflicted, that I might learn your statutes. The law of your mouth is better to me than thousands of gold and silver pieces."

Observation:

In times of ease, we often become complacent in our walks with the Lord. Quiet times become less essential as we consciously or unconsciously indicate to God, "It's okay, I got this." How quickly we can slip from fervor to foolishness! (1 Corinthians 10:13)

Times of affliction force us to focus on God. Like Peter when he started walking on the water but became afraid of the wind and began to sink but looked up to behold the face of Christ, we must keep our focus on Jesus lest we drown in fear of the affliction. (Matthew 14:22-33)

God uses all things for the good of those who love him--even affliction. (Romans 8:28). In this world, we will have times of affliction. Jesus even promises times of trouble in John 16:33 but also commands us to take heart for He has overcome the world.

Regardless of the type or severity of the affliction, when it comes, let us fall on the ground and worship like Job, who said, "Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked shall I return. The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD." (Job 1:20-21)

Then after the Lord has carried us through the affliction, we may echo David's words:

"The law of your mouth is better to me than thousands of gold and silver pieces." (Psalm 119:72)

No comments:

Post a Comment